Sunday, March 02, 2008

Did you know. . .

that if you're baking (cookies, cakes or the like) and realize once you've started that you don't have the eggs you needed or you want to make something vegan or egg free you can substitute ground flax meal. . . and it works like a charm!!! All you need to do is put some in a sauce pan with water and heat until it's an egg-like texture and then add it to the recipe.

My resourceful husband taught this to me and we have made some really good breads with it too!

Enjoy!

5 comments:

Michelle said...

I've never heard of this- what a great idea! I will need to try it out. Thanks for the tip!

Brynn said...

Now that's a good tip. I can't count the times I've started making something and then didn't have the eggs. Grrrr!

Does this work for scrambled eggs too?

Stephanie said...

Does it taste the same??

Cammie said...

Brynn, I wish it worked for scrabbled eggs but I don't think so.

Stephanie, with cookies, cakes and bread I think it does taste the same and sometimes I like the consistency better.

charles said...

I'm wondering if that's what made your delicious molasses cookies so darn delicious.