Monday, July 09, 2007

I love the words to this song. . .

I love this song and never new all the words so I decide to look them up. Here they are. This song is one of my favorite hymns and it really touches me and humbles me during hard times (and anytime I think to sing it). I'm excited to learn all the words now.

Amazing Grace


"Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound,
That saved a wretch like me....
I once was lost but now am found,
Was blind, but now, I see.

T'was Grace that taught...
my heart to fear.
And Grace, my fears relieved.
How precious did that Grace appear...
the hour I first believed.

Through many dangers, toils and snares...
we have already come.
T'was Grace that brought us safe thus far...
and Grace will lead us home.

The Lord has promised good to me...
His word my hope secures.
He will my shield and portion be...
as long as life endures.

When we've been here ten thousand years...
bright shining as the sun.
We've no less days to sing God's praise...
then when we've first begun.

"Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound,
That saved a wretch like me....
I once was lost but now am found,
Was blind, but now, I see.

(end)

5 comments:

Michelle said...

I love this song too. I don't think it's in our new hymnal. Every time I sing this song I get very emotional.

Cammie said...

I know what you mean Michelle--I think this song is Hymnal worthy. I'm wishing I could be in Provo too!

charles said...

Do you know the context in which the song was written? I believe it was in conjunction with the end of slave-trading in Great Britain. Wikipedia says this about it:

"John Newton wrote this hymn after converting to Christianity In the village Kineton, Warwickshire, England. The hymn describes his feelings about the slave trade while on his ship, the Greyhound, in 1748. Several years later he abandoned the slave trade."

charles said...

How was oban?

Jason said...

I have always liked this song. I've known a couple of people who sang this song in their AA meetings, and there is something powerful about the genuine emotion conveyed in their singing it. I think we can all relate to it. I would love to have it in the hymnal, and think it would become an instant favorite in meetings. I heard once that it wasn't included because he refers to himself as a wretch which contradicts the idea of the divine nature of God's children. I don't know if that is true though because Nephi also calls himself a wretched man which is hardly different.