Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Memoirs of a Hippie Childhood: Part of Part 1

The other day I was struggling to find a fun snack/treat for Soren and we were due for a trip to the market. So I thought about the things we had that he enjoys and remembered something my mom used to do for me and "Ecco" he was happily eating his healthy treat which consisted of a small bowl of peanut butter mixed with honey. He was so pleased and it was just enough protein and sweetness to tide him over.

Growing up there was something unmistakably hippie about my mom behind her snazzy bright Nordstom shoes for which I am very grateful. We used to find our way to this really great hole-in-the-wall health food store called "Rocky Peaks" for natural fig bars, carob chips, and other fun earth mama stuff.

In Fallbrook, our home town, we were blessed with lovely land filled with fruit trees galore--avocados, peaches, plums, tangerines, apples, oranges, kumquats, and more. Some mornings our mom sliced peaches, put some raw oats over them and topped it with some milk and we all enjoyed it. A real treat was banana milk shakes (sometimes with chocolate) and then sprinkled with Bee Pollen! She was always finding ways to add good stuff into our meals in creative ways.

It's fun t0 see how my sisters and brother and I have all carried out this legacy in our homes in different ways and have found other ways to add to the pot of health. Soren loves many of the same things that I did growing up.

My dad was and still is a real outdoors man with a great love of the natural as well. We raised chickens and ducks and enjoyed fresh chicken eggs for cooking. Sometimes it was a bit tricky getting the eggs! Camping in the Sierra's was a tradition and fishing was always part of the regimen. Fresh fish is simply the best and we had lots of it.

I have this image in my mind of my sister Charla at about 5 years old with a yellow night gown (I think she was on a swing) and her long honey brown hair is blowing in the wind. It captures our lively natural upbringing and the love we had for playing outside. Bridget was my leader and I tagged along faithfully. Her bright blonde hair always attracted attention and she had a confidence that lead to many adventures on bikes into the Fallbrook hills. Francie was the eldest of the girls, who was filled with fabulous, crazy, fun games and role playing that we loved. She was ultra cool and I was always proud to show her off. Wally, the eldest of us all, was into skate boarding and surfing and survived with so much girlishness in the house. He even taught me to skateboard and I'm still proud of the fact that I can!

15 comments:

BirdieMann said...

The only thing I miss as much as the good fruit we had year-round in San Diego is the year-round perfect temperatures (and the beach and the great restaurants). =)

Michelle said...

Sounds so wonderful and very familiar. My mom was the health nut when we were growing up. We had a wheat grinder and put wheat germ in just about everything. We NEVER had junk food at our home, we did have the Sunday dessert but that was it. We also had bee pollen capsules and other herbal teas when we were growing up- I wonder if it was a seventies thing? That all fell to the way side when my mom started working full time when I was in high school. But those days have always influenced how I like to cook and especially with a lot of vegetables.

Stephanie said...

I love thinking about when I was young. Lots of fun memories. Happy and sad times.

Elizabeth said...

I have all these similar memories. Raising goats and chickens and running wild in the avocado groves we grew up in. And health food store treats, they still get me excited.

Cammie said...

Me too, Liz. I get so excited to go to the health food stores--it's like way better that going to a clothing store for me.

Cammie said...

So funny Michelle! My mom still has this little fill your own capsule tray thingy. . . and we had the wheat grinder thing too! Did you have miniature yoga booklets laying around? I have an image of the lady in my mind.

Michelle said...

We had these Pilate pulley contraption that she used to work on and also she was taking a Polynesian dance classes so we had the New Zealand balls on rope. My mom also had us taking fish oil capsules and garlic ones as well! We never really complained we thought it was kinda funny and fun!

Cammie said...

We had the fish oil as well!

Britney, we totally miss the Mexican food!

Emily S. said...

cool recollections! Makes me feel nostalgic for my own memories. Since being married, I have already seen in myself the desire to carry on so much of what my mom did for us.

Gotta be thankful for good parents.

Stephanie said...

I Love the color. Did you change it??

Cammie said...

Ya, I just did! I'm glad you like it.

charles said...

Yes Michelle! Our moms must have totally read the same book!

suvi said...

What a totally lovely childhood! I love thinking about the things my mom used to do with us, carting four little blonde girls around the world. Cammie, you are a beautiful healthy mommy!

Carol said...

Apparently I missed out on the granola 70's mom. I was raised on rice, spam, ramen noodles and sushi. Of course we did always have fresh fruit living in Hawaii. I do remember going to my grandmas house most evenings and finishing her vegis from dinner. She would save them for me. I am a vegi girl for sure!

Sad to say though I got no health nut instruction growing up. Simply can't relate to that.

The Eatons said...

I think I want to hang out with your mom now. I loved this entry. These habits for your kids are totally an effort worth making.