Friday, May 16, 2008

Pisa and More

Pisa is a perfect place to visit when traveling with children and it was only 2 and a half hours by plane from Prestwick! Our flat was in a fantastic location in the old part of the city (photos below) and it was about a 5 minute walk to the Leaning Tower.



A picture from the window of our funky, artsy, bohemian flat.

I heart old Italian streets.


Above is the street where are flat was located (on the 5th floor mind you--we got a workout to say the least). My manly husband did such a good job carrying all of our luggage up those many flights of stairs.

Our kitchen was fun and colorful too. Below are photos of
La Marina di Pisa.




Florence for the day.



Below are photos of the coast of Cecina and Bibbona. We road our bikes through an amazing forest and arrived on the beach. The ride and the arrival were quite wonderful because while on our journey we had tall pine trees for shade and as we arrived at the beach it was so sun filled and kissed with blue skies.










This is what our beach bungalow looked like in Bibbona (below) and we were about 5 minutes walking from the coast. The town was so darling and family oriented with bikes to rent, forests to ride through, parks for kids and tons of great gelaterias. Seriously, we had the most luscious decadent gelato-- from chocolate to cream and strawberry to baci we were in gelato dreamland. Our time at the bungalow was our favorite part of the trip.


This was our first walk on the beach after we arrived and it was just perfect. At 6pm at night the weather was still nice!




I was in pink and peach terracotta heaven.


Looking out the window at the coast while on our train to Cecina I felt as if I could have cried I was so happy. Going to Italy was like coming home for 2 reasons. First, it is so much like California where I grew up with sunshine, flowers, the beach, friendly people and fresh produce. And secondly, because I lived in Italy and it was my home for a while. I love Italy and the Italian way of life (even the fact that just about everything closes from 1 to 4 pm for lunch). They have a great reverence for lunch, digestion and rest. It was also great fun speaking Italian and meeting people from all over. I heart L'Italia!

PS. Stay tuned for some videos!

10 comments:

charles said...

Yay! I love the photos. Soren looks just like his mama when he sleeps! I can't wait to take my family there with you some day.

Bridget said...

It looks so beautiful. I am so happy (jealous) for you. What a great trip. I miss you. Someday you'll have to be my tour guide.

Stephanie said...

what a wonderful trip. the pictures are beautiful. looks like a great way of life. soren is getting so big. glad that you had a fabulous trip and that you are back safe and sound. ;)

Bessie said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE your pictures!!! Who's the photographer? I miss you. Kisses to Soren.

Elizabeth said...

What a great trip. I am missing Italy now. The picture of Soren in Pisa is delightful.

Cammie said...

Hi Bessie, so good to hear from you!! How are you? . . about the photos--Jason and I took turns. There are so many beautiful thing to take pictures of. We miss you! xo

Emily S. said...

reading this made me SOO happy for you. I could feel your joy!
The photos are beautiful.The beach ones of your boys are particularly moving.

and lastly, I am terribly jealous is a happy-for-you kind of way. I got to go to Italy 2 years ago and I STILL dream of it. What a treasure!

Meaghan said...

What an amazing trip!! It looks like you all had a great time. It looks so beautiful!

Anonymous said...

Wow...how much fun are you having?! Soren is so big and so adorable. What a fabulous experience...I love the photographs. I think you could make a career out of it!

Carol said...

i'm SO jealous. that just looks like heaven on earth. such a nice time for you and your little family. One day your going to look back on all this and see how lucky you were to live like this for a time. (i'm sure you already know that!)